New Year’s Eve is a time for celebration with friends or loved ones. A time to get dressed up and go out on the town. But, this can get expensive in a hurry and not all of us are feeling free and easy these days. Most restaurants in San Francisco offer popular prix fixe menus, but, at the cost of burning a hole in your wallet. Because I am an ever so thoughtful and price-conscious person, I have put together a list of great San Francisco restaurants that have appealing prix fixe menus at even more appealing prices. No need to thank me, just get out and enjoy yourselves!
So, put on an extra coat of mascara, squeeze into those Spanx and wear your festive best. It is time to get out on the town!
In no particular order:
1. Cafe Majestic- American/Californian cuisine in Pacific Heights. Cafe Majestic’s elegant white interior is both modernized and thickly cloaked in old-world San Franciscan charm. Their four-course prix fixe menu looks inventive and gourmet yet won’t compromise your bank account at $65/person. 1500 Sutter Street, (415) 441-1100. www.cafemajesticsf.com
2. Dosa- Southern Indian in the Mission and now in Pacific Heights as well. Their 4 course prix fixe menu of Indian treats is only $60/person. The decor is warm, worldly and festive with dark woods, modern light fixtures and bold colors. 995 Valencia or 1700 Fillmore. (415) 642-3672. www.dosasf.com.
3. Bong Su- Vietnamese cuisine in trendy SOMA. This area might be a little less crowded than other parts of the city if you are looking for a nice time with less noise. Bong Su serves up inventive Vietnamese dishes and on New Year’s will have a 4-course menu for $60/person. It sounds tasty! 311 3rd street, (415)536-5800. www.bongsu.com.
4. Two- American cuisine in a classic and subdued atmosphere. Two is having a smashing deal on New
Year’s Eve with a 4-course menu, including a Surf n’ Turf served family style. On the menu is roasted Dungeness crab and Kobe beef. The full menu is $45/person. This is a steal for great food on such a popular night! 22 Hawthorne street, (415) 777-9779. www.two-sf.com.
5. Amber India- Indian/Pakistani fare that is ever so popular with San Franciscans. Amber is having a terrific deal at $45/person before 8pm and $55/person from 8-11pm. It is situated right downtown near the Embarcadero for after dinner Bay viewing. 25 Yerba Buena, (415) 777-0500. www.amber-india.com/SanFrancisco.
If I have not jump-started your salivary glands and your party instincts sufficiently enough to have already made a reservation, then do so now. Chop chop! With deals like these on popular, downtown, SF eateries, they won’t last long.
Have a safe and happy New Year!